There are many platforms in which you can start a database. Some of the software used includes oracle, Microsoft access and the like. But we are going to give you the steps on how to create a database using Microsoft access.
Database with Access:
Step 1: Design the database and identify the purpose (by listing the fields).
Step 2: Load Microsoft Access on the system if it is not preloaded.
- a) Click on Start button.
- b) Select Program.
- c) Select Microsoft office.
- d) Click on Ms-Access.
A database screen will appear.
Step 3: Click on New.
- a) Click on blank database.
- b) Enter the desired database name (such as students’ records).
- c) Click on Create.
This will create database windows. A dialogue box having the name at the database is displayed along with the database objects.
Step 4: Create tables and enter fields. Tables can be created using any of the following methods:
- a) Datasheet view: You enter data into the datasheet grid which consists of rows and columns labelled ‘Field 1’, ‘Field 2’, ‘Field 3’, etc. Access will determine the data type based on the data you enter.
- b) Design view: This method enables the user to create a table from scratch. The user can precisely determine all the characteristics of the table.
- c) Table wizard: This is the easiest and fastest method of creating a table.
Creating a table in design view
1 Open the database.
2 Click on Tables (tab).
3 Click on New (the New Table dialogue box appears).
4 Select Design view.
5 Click on OK (the table design view will appear).
Adding fields to a table in Design view
- Type a field name in the field name column.
- Press the tab key or use the mouse to move the Data Type column.
- Select a data type from the drop-down list.
- Move to the description column and type description of the information will be held in the field.
- After this, pull down the file menu.
- Select the Save or Save As to save the table the current database.
- Type in a name for the table and click Ok.
Entering records into a table
After saving the structure of the table, you can now insert data into each field of each record.
With the table displayed in Design view;
1 Pull down the view menu.
2 Select Datasheet view.
3 Type in the data under each heading.
4 Continue until you have entered data for all the records.
Deleting a record
1 Open the table as a datasheet.
2 Select the record to be deleted.
3 Press the Delete key or pull down the Edit menu and select Delete.
Editing a record
- Open the table as a datasheet.
2 Select the required field of the appropriate record.
3 Type in new information or edit the existing information.
Creating a new query
1 Open the database.
2 Click the query object tab in the data-base window.
3 Click on New. The New query box appears.
4 Select Design view.
5 Click Ok. (The show Table dialogue shown with the query grid).
Adding tables to query
1 Select the tablets) from the list in the table.
2 Click Add to add them to the upper of the query design grid.
3 Click close.
Removing a table from query
1 Select the table from the query design grid.
2 Right click the mouse (a drop-down menu appears).
3 Select Remove Table.
Running a query
1 The Run Command is an.The database to perform the specified in your query.
2 Click the RUN button on the toolbar, or pull down the query menu and RUN.
Creating a report, using the report tool
A report tool provides the fastest way for you a report, because it generates a report immediately without prompting you for information. The report displays all the fields underlying table or query.
The Report tool may not create the final, polished product that you ultimately want, but it is quite useful as a means to quickly look at the underlying data. You can then save and modify it in Layout view or Design view.
- In the navigation, click the table or query (on which you want to base the report).
- On the create tab, in the Reports group, click Report.
- Create a report by using the Report wizard.
- On the create tab, in the Reports group, Click the Report wizard.
- Follow the directions on the report wizard page. On the last page, click Finish.
Save your report designs
- Click the Microsoft Office Button.
- Click on save.
- If the report is untitled, type a name in Report Name box and then click Ok.
Create a database of employee data and profiles in a company using the steps above.